Sunday, May 11, 2008

Random Paintings from travel


This painting is one of my firsts. It is a picture that my sister took when she was in Burma. I have learned a lot since painting this picture, but it was a lot of fun. I completed it in 1996, while at BYU.








This is a picture of a flower that I saw when I was in India. I traveled to India in 10th grade. I remember so vividly taking this picture with my little wind up camera. I took this picture in Calcutta. I remember seeing this flower and just thinking it was so beautiful and such a stark contrast to the rest of Calcutta. Calcutta is an amazing place, but it is just so depressing and heart wrenching. I learned a lot about beauty & happiness on this trip. I have traveled a lot and I don't know that I had ever been to a place that was so poor as Calcutta, but the amazing thing is I had never come across such happy people either. These people literally lived in mud huts and cooked their food in the ground, but life was good. It was a great lesson for me to learn. The real beauty in this city is the amazing people. I guess the flower sort of represented for me the hope and beauty that exists despite what appeared to me, to be very unfortunate circumstances.

3 Comments:

At May 12, 2008 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Leah said...

I had no clue that you painted a picture of a picture that I took from Burma! Its awesome!

 
At May 13, 2008 at 2:16 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

You are so amazingly talented! You're great at oil painting, prisma color, making beautiful children!

 
At May 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Holy crap!! You are amazing. I LOVE the flower one. I think I might have to commision you to paint something for Justin and I. Bravo!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home